Monday 31 May 2021

LEJOG day 9 - what a ride and I arrived at John O'Grotes

I waited long enough to get some sun in the highlands and today despite a spitty windy Ullapool start, Scotland delivered.

I have put in a lazy start as it was only 160 miles today…. but then people wanted to talk bikes, and who am I to not engage on that subject.


Eventually we were off out of Ullapool on the A835…. a perfect twisty road. I’d convinced myself I’d keep riding today and not be stopping taking roads of photos and drone shots…. that didn’t work. Round every bend I found myself saying out loud my my what beauty…. or just wow. Unless you come here yourself, my words will not come anywhere close to describing the scale age and grandness of the Highlands. 


I stopped and stopped flew the drone took some shots drank coffee rode my bike…. why would anyone want much more ? 









Problem is I am struggling to remember what I saw where but one thing will stay with me for a long while ( looking at google street view for location….) I came into what I can only describe as a scoop out of the earth - mountain on my right and a single width road with passing places on the left but a massive glen (valley?) in-between Simply stunning and made all the better by having to stop every now and again in a passing place where I soaked in the views. 


Then it was Keoldale where you can catch a ferry and bus to Cape Wrath  - had a chat with a fella who was basically living out go his van retired early and was loving it. Impromptu chats like this are great, expands the mind and horizons ! 






Over the top on towards  my target destination on plenty of single track roads with everyone being sensible. Some of the beaches on the top are stunning… more stops.




Then the single tracks opened up to normal NSL roads and again the Himalayan swept through them with ease  - keeping the momentum was enjoyable and before I knew it I was heading up to Dunnet head for the furthest point on the mainland of Great Britain. Snaps and chats again  then onto John O’Groats and credit to the Scottish tourist board you can ( I did) ride right up to the sign for end of challenge photograph.





Filled up at John O’Grotes garage …over £1.40 a litre… and found my sumptuous B&B for the penultimate night. The Anchorage B&B - a friendlier place you could not find and the best stay by far of my trip. Gail even offered me an evening meal and beer so I did not have to go back into JOG. 


A cuckoo woke me at 3am !!



So done that …. and I’ve had time to think of other ‘challenges….’ but that's for later.


Tomorrow the longest day of the trip so far when I’ll basically ride from the top to the bottom of Scotland down the east side this time !


Thanks for all the encouragement  - now start planning your adventure !! 

No comments: