Monday 17 May 2021

LEJOG to Penzance

 To get to the start I had to go a long way down ...330 miles to be precise. 

My mileometer before a wheel was turned .... on the Sunday afternoon hence the time 


All ready to go .....

Started well with the now seemingly obligatory chat about the bike to someone  - I've never owned a bike that attracts so much positive attention. That was Worcester services after about a hour and a half, however on setting off my sat nav seemed to have added two hours to my journey,  it was right of course as there was a two hour delay on the M5 between junction 19 and 21.... The Sat nav offered me another route (what did we do apart from getting lost a lot before sat nav's - they were designed by men for men as we now have not reason to stop and ask directions  - not that we did before !)  Anyhow I got an impromptu tour of Bristol and saw the Clifton suspension bridge.

The much loved sat nav then took me on some little lanes to miss a lot of queuing traffic on the A38  - this is most obviously not the M5 ....


Then it went dark around Taunton with thunder and lightening as I had lunch in a Sainsbury's car park - and yes another fella came chatting, so keen was he to talk he left his car door open and someone reported it to security !!

The rain started as I left and it got cold and wet but I was well protected. On this bike its top speed is about 75mph so 60 mph is a good cruising speed. I spent time following HGV's at 58mph until a hill appeared then I'd overtake. You got to know the unloaded ones as they lost no speed up such hills ! Plus it was a risk to follow the slower ones up the hills as the unloaded ones caught up and came right up behind before swinging out at the last minute - scary to observe in the rear view mirrors slowly becoming a HGV sandwich.

The problem with Cornwall is there really are only two roads in and out of it and the A30 is a slow road - even on a bike doing lots of overtaking - a good reason to visit infrequently even if it is a lovely place.

Got to the hotel at 5.30pm after setting off at 9am. Lovely sea view room, nice couple running it. 


Not seen St Michael's mount for many many years 


  Had a pint in pub plus a meal  - a date to remember for good reasons hopefully 

Tomorrow - 10 miles to Lands End then point the bike north for 8 days - first stop North Devon, Coombe Martin to be precise. 

No comments: