Thursday 30 September 2021

Light boat engineering in my man shed

From my previous post about swapping the starter - the new clamps were supplied with one 8mm stud and two 6mm studs. My battery connectors are all 8mm eyelets so I wanted to put three 8mm bolts into the new clamps.

Step forward my trusty pillar drill in the cottage workshop. Job done and new bolts put in I then turned my attention to a long standing 'must do' job.

Since we added a folding collar to the exhaust chimney ( in case of bridge strikes it folds the chimney down) the large chimney is too tall so we've been using the tich chimney which is a little too low when the wind is in the wrong direction. 


So I'd cut about three inches off the top of the large chimney but not put the brass cutter back on... I tried it out but the first bridge we went under the force of the direct updards of the exhaust brought down all sorts of rubbish and spiders onto the roof - a real no no! 

So I moved the brass decorative strap down and re pot riveted the cutter back on - spot the mistake, yes the shoulders of the cutter should be on the inside of the chimney. All sorted now.




When Percy is in the dock I'll give the tall chimney a couple of coats of black to tidy it up. Hopefully less diesel smoke in our faces in the future.

No comments: